Wednesday 23 May 2012

Mass Effect 3

Powering through my first playthrough. I think i'm near the end, and I may restart.

Spoilers After the Cut





I'm basically fucked off with some of the decisions I've made, plus just playing too quickly. I want to start again, perhaps as far back as ME1. Romancing Kaiden was effing stupid. He's the most irritating man in the game. After Thane (who I romanced in ME2) died I thought I might as well go back to Kaiden. He 'forgives me for cheating on him'. Um, excuse me? He basically told me to fuck off in the first bit of ME2. In ME3 he keeps being whiny about whether or not he can trust me. 



Thane was awesome, dark, spiritual, fast, evil and overall a great character. Interesting back story, generally good principles and a brilliant death sequence, from the fact that he was only bested by Kai Leng because he was dying, to the prayer he gets Shepherd to recite when he is finally passing away. It's the first time you ever get to see Thane really fight and you can see why he's the most famed assassin throughout the galaxy. It's a bit irritating that no-one even really mentions Thane to you after his death. Let's face it, with most people, if a mate's lover gets murdered by a psychotic, cyber enhanced Cerberus assassin, they might mention it - especially as in ME2 Mordin comments on your sex life and Liara occasionally engages in girl talk.





I might go for Garrus next time. He's brilliant, a lot more fun than Kaiden and less tragic than Thane. Liara's also a good choice, and I really want the Shadowbroker DLC (had it for PC but my laptop could barely cope so switched to X-Box). 

But yeah, apart from that, I've been way too 'paragon' throughout. I tend to be paragon anyway but I'd rather be realistic about it. E.g. when the testosterone fuelled Quarian decides to attack the ship when you and Tali are on it, I wanted to tell him that he was a ****. I've also rushed through it and missed the chance to acquire various war assets from systems that have now been utterly destroyed. 

There are some brilliant moments though. Tali getting drunk was one. Grunt emerging from a tunnel thoroughly coated in blood was another. Mordin's death was so bittersweet and in keeping with his personality. Jack's relationship with her squad of trainees was great. Thane's death was so heartbreaking I actually cried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment